Galtström Ironworks, SCA’s cradle, is located on the coast a short distance south of Sundsvall and is owned and managed by Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget SCA. The area is a pleasant destination for anyone interested in visiting a preserved ironworks environment or interested in studying the coastal flora at one of the beaches nearby. The old Galtström Ironworks is also here, and is a historic building of national interest.
Galtström Ironworks was founded in 1673 and is Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget SCA's oldest predecessor. Galtström Ironworks is Medelpad's oldest, largest and last ironworks and was in operation between 1673 and 1916. The works church was built as early as 1680. The same year, the works was assigned its own priest, who also worked as a teacher, as was the practice at that time. Today, the church is a popular venue for weddings and christenings.
About Galtström Ironworks
Galtström Ironworks is Medelpad's oldest, largest and last ironworks and was in operation between 1673 and 1916. The works environment is carefully preserved and many of the old works buildings can be visited, including the roasting and blast furnace, the church and the bakery.
Destination Galtströms Bruk is a non-profit association that seeks to develop and preserve our unique Galtström, together with private and public sector players and private individuals in the area. This is so that we can in the future create an attractive offering and services for both visitors and residents.
The aim is to create a Galtström that will attract more visitors and also encourage more people to settle in Galtström, thereby improving accessibility, employment and services in the area.
Anything introduced into the village must be deeply rooted or well adapted to the historical environment. The aim is to manage and develop a heritage that is only on loan to those of us who live and work here today. In this respect, it is important to show consideration for the environment, culture and the community, and the fact that historic buildings can be found throughout the area.