Engine room and railway

A narrow-gauge railway track was laid in the 1860s for transport between the works and Prästviken, which was the port used at the time. In 1877, the track was extended westwards to the rolling mill and sawmill, and northwards to the new port in Utterviken, with a total route of 3,200 meters. The track gauge was 890 mm.


The engine room

Up until 1887, draft horses were used. A small steam locomotive was purchased that year to replace the horses. The 15-hp locomotive had a maximum speed of 20 km/h, and was christened “Loke.”

Loke did the work of 18 horses. Loke was manufactured by Kristinehamns Mekaniska Verkstad (Kristinehamn´s Mechanical Workshop) and purchased for 9,750 riksdaler (an old Swedish coin). Loke was transported from Kristinehamn to the port of Sundsvall by boat. From there, it was loaded onto one of the Galtström Ironworks’ many barges and transported to the port in Utterviken, where it was rolled onto land.

An instructor came along with Loke to teach the future driver, J. A. Nyström, about all of the levers and knobs. When it was completed, the railway ran all the way to the sawmill.

Loke was in operation until the end of the 1920s and now stands in the small engine room built on clinker blocks from the works. The Galtström Train Association provides tours for visitors during the summer. The length of the railway is now 2.4 km.

The driver Johan Albert Nyström
The driver Johan Albert Nyström.