SCA’s operations generate direct and indirect values, such as job opportunities, revenues from timber sales for private forest owners and work opportunities for contractors and sub-suppliers. Moreover, SCA provides income and experiences from hunting, fishing, recreation and local associations.

SCA contributes to the local economy in the municipalities in Northern Sweden where the company conducts operations. Of SCA’s more than 4,100 employees, 91% are employees in Sweden and the remaining 9% mainly in Europe.

In addition to direct payments, in the form of various taxes, SCA generates the preconditions so that trade, services and public services can continue to exist in smaller rural communities. SCA’s industries, where one very important element of the supply of raw material is the purchase of timber from private forest owners, create jobs in rural areas, both directly and indirectly. SCA’s forests, not least the forest roads SCA builds, contribute toward ecotourism, hunting and fishing. In combination, these operations create an opportunity for people to live and work in areas such as the inland region of Norrland.

About SEK 25bn. The amount disbursed by SCA in 2019 for investments andmcosts to run the company’s operations. More than half of this figure, 51%, was spent in Northern Sweden, in the form of payments to private forest owners, suppliers and contractors and as salary to employees.

A further 30% was paid to recipients in the rest of Sweden and 5% as dividend to the company’s shareholders.

Most of SCA’s revenue is from exports, while the major share of costs is in Sweden.

Forest owners: SCA’s competitive industries not only support the value of SCA’s forests, but also those belonging to other forest owners.

Own private contractors: Many contractors and contractor employees have worked for SCA for many years, sometimes for generations.

Employees: SCA’s employees play an important part in the local community, not only
as consumers and taxpayers, but also as citizens, members of local
associations and as neighbors.

Recreation: SCA’s forests offer excellent opportunities for recreation. Thousands of people use our forests and forest roads for hunting, fishing, reindeer herding, nature tourism or to pick berries and mushrooms.