To remain relevant, today and in the future, SCA must evolve in harmony with the communities that we are part of. Social challenges can serve as a source of innovation and development for SCA’s business models and product offerings.

SCA has a continuous dialogue with various stakeholders about how the Group can contribute to the positive development of society. This could include meetings and dialogue with municipal representatives, local residents, reindeer herding Sami and people who live close to SCA's facilities. The Group sponsors local associations, hold regular talks with recruitment agencies and employment offices and collaborates in various ways with universities and colleges in northern Sweden.

Maintaining a vibrant countryside

SCA contributes to the local economy in the municipalities in northern Sweden where the company conducts operations. Of SCA's more than 4,000 employees, 87 percent are employees in Sweden and the remaining 13 percent mainly in Europe. In addition to direct payments, in the form of various taxes, SCA generates the preconditions so that trade, services and public services can continue to exist in smaller rural communities.

SCA's forest operations create jobs in rural areas, both directly and indirectly. SCA's forests, not least the forest roads SCA builds, contribute toward ecotourism, hunting and fishing. In combination, these operations create an opportunity for people to live and work in areas such as the inland region of Norrland.

Headquarters close to operations

SCA's decision as a listed company to locate its headquarters in Sundsvall, close to its operations, creates new jobs and mean that the Group is contributing to making Sundsvall more attractive as a town to live and work in. SCA has also been successful in recruiting specialist expertise to Sundsvall.

The proximity between SCA's research and development unit and Mid Sweden University contributes towards several interesting research and innovation projects in the region and attracts research competence to Sundsvall. SCA collaborates with IBM, Processum RISE and BizMaker in the Forest Business Accelerator for the development of startups with forest-related business concepts.

Examples of SCA's community engagement

• Coaching of forest contractors to establish and run their own companies, often in rural areas
• Supporting innovative capacity and entrepreneurship through involvement in initiatives including BizMaker in Sundsvall, Junior Achievement Sweden and other regional development centers
• Tekniksprånget and Teknikcollege, to strengthen interest in science and engineering educations among young people. The projects; FLIT (Flickor i Teknik) and Geek Girls to stimulate an interest in technology among girls
• Supporting associations and local community engagement in sport, culture and other areas
• Participation at national, regional and local levels in Skogen i skolan (The forest in school) to spread awareness of, and interest in, career prospects offered by the forest industry
• SCA’s conservation parks. Large sections of the landscape managed in a way that promotes nature conservation and cultural values

SCA supports global initiatives

UN global goals

SCA supports the 2030 Agenda and the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals and makes a direct or indirect contribution to all of these goals.

UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals

UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals
Två pojkar tittar fram bakom trädstamTwo boys behind a tree

Sponsorship and community involvement

Sponsorship and community involvement

Guidelines