On February 14, 2019, SCA's new pulp mill was inaugurated by King Carl XVI Gustaf. Over 300 invited guests came to the opening ceremony, and the visitors were initially invited to group tours and see the new factory.
At the stations during the tour, the visitors got to know more about both pulp production and the new factory's capacity of Östrand's employees.
Speakers on stage before the royal opening ceremony were from SCA, CEO Ulf Larsson, and Project director Ingela Ekebro. From the two biggest participating companies: Pasi Laine, CEO of Valmet and Wolfgang Leitner, CEO of Andritz. From Timrå municipality, municipal councilor Stefan Dalin and from the government, Ministry of Enterprise and Innovation Ibrahim Baylan.
The final of the opening ceremony was when King Carl Gustaf broke a "laser beam" with a sheet of paper pulp. That was also the start of a spectacular light show.
The opening day then concluded with a dinner at Hotell Södra Berget in Sundsvall for invited guests, an event where also His Majesty the King participated.
Read more about the opening ceremony in SCA's press release.
The weekends before and after the inauguration day, there will be Open house-days. These events are arranged for both Strands’ employees with families and participants in the rebuilding project. Open house-days take place on February 10 and February 17.
About the overall project
- Project Helios was conducted during 2015-2018, a pre-project started in 2014
- Östrand is today the world's largest softwood pulp mill
- A total investment of SEK 7.8 billion
- Production capacity of 900,000 tonnes per year of bleached softwood pulp, expandable to 1,000,000 tonnes per year
- The project was divided into 9 sub-projects, where the project succeeded:
- complete each sub-project
- keep budget
- on schedule
- avoid serious accidents
- achieve startup curve