We will contribute to reduce global warmth by offering products with low climate footprint, reducing our own emissions of carbon dioxide and a responsible forestry
- We will reduce CO2 emissions from fossil fuels and from purchased electricity and heating by 20% by 2020, with 2005 as reference year
- The production of wind power on SCA forest land will increase to 5 TWh by 2020
- Our plants will reduce suspended solids to water by 10% and phosphorous emissions to water by 10% by 2020, with 2014 as reference year
- Reduction with 49% for pulp and paper mills
- Energy from wind power production: 2,3 TWh
- Suspended solids increased with 128 % phosphorous increased with 36 %
- Reducing emissions of carbon dioxide through continuously strive for high and stable production efficiency, energy savings and to realizing full effect of imade nvestments.
- Increase production of wind power by actively work to realize wind projects at attractive wind sites.
- Emissions to water should be reduced by increased efficiency and technical review in our effluent plants. 2016 was affected by breakdown of the effluent treatmen at Östrand and a rebuilt of the plant at Munksund.
Reduced climate impact from packaging paper
SCA produces kraftliner, a fresh fiber-based packaging paper, at its plants in Obbola and Munksund in Sweden. During 2006–2016, the carbon footprint of the product decreased by 30% as the result of a long-term investment program to develop the kraftliner mills and a continuous, highly prioritized program to replace fossil fuels with biofuels.
One example is an investment in a new lime kiln that is fueled with pellets instead of oil at the Munksund facility, which reduced annual CO2 emissions from fossil fuels by 20,000 tons or 75%.